Sunday, January 4, 2009

"William Freind"

Issue One:

CONCEALING HEALTH

By "William Freind"

A movement of
values
A sigh of
images
Lost values and enthralling
souls


Verzion Two:

WHIMSY IN THE SACKRETE

By Bill Freind

A slur of
pretexts

A snort of
filigree
Nostalgia and the nothing
not there.

The "real" Bill sez: 'I love Verzion: I think it’s a wonderful send-up of the way in which the Name of the Author continues to dominate all forms of contemporary poetry. So why am I writing this? First, the name of this author is incorrect: the poem is attributed to William Freind and I always use “Bill.” Second, the poem uses a few words I would only use with heavy irony, e.g., “souls,” “lost values.”

'Sincerely,

The Poet Formerly Known as William Freind'

[Editor's note: Both the original and the "re"vision of this poem involve hanging indents. Blogger doesn't like them, and I can't figure out how to make it. ]

No comments:

Post a Comment